Good afternoon my
wonderful no, beautiful readers/friends!
Today I wanted to do a post dedicated to #mentalhealth. 5/5 people in the world have mental health, which is why talking about it is so damn important. Obviously, no amount of exercise, happy thoughts, or anything else is going to make it better or *cure* you, but these are some things that help some people, some times.
When J.K. Rowling was writing the Harry Potter series, she was suffering from severe depression. The soul-sucking Dementors she created became a metaphor for that depression, and the spell used to combat those evil creatures became a source of light. ‘Expecto Patronum’ is arguably one of the most inspiring spells that Rowling creates in her entire series. It is a beacon of hope, one that thousands of people across the globe have tattooed onto their bodies as a daily reminder to keep fighting against their demons. Whether that be mental health, stress, fear of rejection, loneliness, addictions, jealousy, anger, etc.
So here at some things that can help keep those damn dementors at bay:
DISCLAIMER: This list is full of suggestions. I recognize that there are no absolutes when it comes to mental health, and that not everything works for everyone.
- Do Something you Love Every Single Day: This can be literally anything and it can be different each day.
- Remember your Goals, Dreams & Ambitions: Remind yourself of what you want in life and use that to keep you motivated.
- Stay Positive: Do your best to start every day with a clear mind.Try seeing the glass half full 80% of the time.
- Don’t Settle: You are a diamond and you deserve to shine. Be extraordinary. Follow your passions.
- Be Self-Aware: Study yourself and learn what makes you tick. Be aware of what does and does not make you happy.
- Practice Letting Go: Sometimes there are things that hold you back from achieving whatever it is you want. Learn to let go of the things that don’t matter.
- Be Generous: One of the greatest ways to get in touch with yourself and find true happiness is by giving back to the community and the world around you.
- Practice Self-Love: It’s true when they say that you need to love yourself first. Find ways to fall in love with yourself and to help yourself heal.
- Build Support Systems: Having people in your life that you can turn to is so important. This can be friends, families, professionals, etc.
- Find your Patronus: Find something that keeps you grounded. This can be a person, place, thing, or a combination of these. Like the spell, this is something that helps you battle those demons on the rough days.
Above all else, remember that the spell is strongest when you think of happy memories. Focus on memories that make you smile and laugh. Remember the good days and fight, with everything you have, to make more happy memories!
‘Til next time, lovelies,